July 19, 2007

I'm Sorry

Ericha,

I miss you. I’m so sorry for what happened to you. I’m sorry that I couldn’t be there with you. I’m sorry that I couldn’t help you. You did not deserve what happened to you. You were a great person. You made me look forward to each afternoon after school. Your presence in our home was fun, comforting and wanted.

I so wish that I could have known you longer. You would have made a wonderful mother. I remember the time we went to the circus. I remember your warm smile. I remember your twinkling white teeth and your pantene shampoo. I remember your feathered black hair. I remember how protective you were of those you loved. I remember how you cleaned and organized the house each day. I remember how you taught me to stock the refreshments in the back room of the gas station. I remember spending the holidays together. Mom bought you a nice jacket – you were overwhelmed. You bought us a beautiful poinsettia. We laughed and talked and ate. We could always count on you to help. We could always count on you to be there. I could ponder the random happenings of life with you.

I miss you. I’m so sorry. I wish I could have done something. I wish I could have protected you. I wish I could have been there with you. I wish I could have hugged you, comforted you.

You saw the ugliest part of our world in your last moments. For that – I am truly sorry. As a member of this human race – I apologize to you. I don’t understand how or why there are monsters that roam the earth. You encountered not one of them, but two.

Now – I pray that you are in a place where you feel no pain, only love. I pray that you know how much we love and miss you. I pray that you are in a place of peace, warmth, comfort and love.

Love,
Emily

No comments: